Temporary protection is not granted to certain third-country nationals as of 7 September 2023
As of 7 September 2023, Finland will not issue residence permits on the basis of temporary protection to third-country nationals and stateless persons who have resided in Ukraine on the basis of a temporary residence permit. Third-country nationals are citizens of countries that have not joined the European Union or the Schengen Agreement.
The change does not apply to
- Ukrainian citizens and their family members
- persons who have been granted international protection in Ukraine and their family members or
- persons who have resided in Ukraine with a permanent residence permit if they are unable to return to their home country in safe and durable conditions.
The change applies to applications for temporary protection that have been submitted on 7 September 2023 or later. The Finnish Immigration Service will decide applications submitted before 7 September 2023 in accordance with the previous decision-making practice.
Residence permits already granted in Finland on the basis of temporary protection are valid until 4 March 2024.
The change in granting temporary protection to third-country nationals and stateless persons is based on a decision of the Government.
You must show proof of international protection, family ties or a permanent residence permit
If you are a third-country national or a stateless person applying for temporary protection in Finland, you must show proof of your family ties to a Ukrainian citizen or that you have been granted international protection in Ukraine, that your family member has been granted international protection in Ukraine or that you have a permanent residence permit in Ukraine.
- For example, you can show us your marriage certificate, a birth certificate for a child who is a Ukrainian citizen, a certificate of refugee status issued by Ukraine or a permanent residence permit granted in Ukraine.
- If you have resided in Ukraine with a permanent residence permit, we will investigate whether you can return to your home country in safe and durable conditions. If we while processing your application for temporary protection cannot assess whether you are able to return to your home country, we will advise you to apply for asylum.
- The Finnish Immigration Service decides your application on the basis of the proof you have presented. The decision may be positive or negative.
- لن تُمنح الحماية المؤقتة لبعض مواطني الدول الثالثة اعتبارًا من 07/09/2023, pdf (ar)
- Une protection temporaire ne sera pas accordée aux citoyens de certains pays tiers à partir du 07/09/2023,pdf (fr)
- Временная защита не будет предоставляться гражданам ряда третьих стран с 07.09.2023, pdf (ru)
- Geçici koruma belirli üçüncü ülkelerin vatandaşlarına 7.9.2023 tarihinden başlayarak tanınmayacaktır, pdf (tr)
- Від 7 вересня 2023 року припиняється видача
тимчасового захисту деяким громадянам третіх країн, pdf (uk)
Updated 15.9.2023: Translations to Ukrainian, Arabic, French, Turkish and Russian added to the language versions.