Skip to Content

Residence permit application for an employee of a religious community or a non-profit association

Apply for a residence permit with this application if you are coming to work as an employee of a religious community or a non-profit association. Your employer must be a registered association and you must have confirmed employment before you may apply for residence permit.

  • Expected processing time for electronic application

    First permit 1–2 months / extended permit 2–4 months

  • Expected processing time for paper application

    First permit 2 months / extended permit 2–4 months

  • Electronic application fee

    First permit  380 € / extended permit 160 €

  • Paper application fee

    First permit 480€ / extended permit 430 €

Employee of a religious community or a non-profit association

This is what you should do


Make sure you meet the requirements for the residence permit you are applying for.


Make sure you have all the attachments needed. If necessary, have them translated and legalised. The processing time may be longer if you have not filled in your application sufficiently.


Fill in your application.


Pay for your application in the online service Enter Finland, at a Finnish mission (embassy or consulate) or at a service point of the Finnish Immigration Service.


If you are abroad, visit a Finnish mission (embassy or consulate). If you are already in Finland, book an appointment at a service point of the Finnish Immigration Service.


Wait for a decision. The Finnish Immigration Service will contact you if necessary.


Read what happens after you have applied. Check the estimated processing time of your application here. You can follow the processing of your application with the help of our chatbot Kamu. In addition, you will usually receive automated messages at the different processing stages of your application.


You should wait for the residence permit in the same country or locality where you submitted your application and proved your identity.

General requirements for entry into Finland

Make sure you meet the general requirements for entry into Finland before you submit an application.


You must also meet the following requirements:

Income requirement 

You must have sufficient financial resources.

  • If you apply for a residence permit in order to work in Finland, you need to be able to support yourself in Finland with your salary throughout the time your residence permit is valid. 
  • When you apply for an extended permit, the Finnish Immigration Service will check how much you have been paid in salary during the validity of your previous residence permit.

Read more on the page Income requirement.

Right to work

  • You cannot start working before you get a residence permit.
  • Your right to work gives you the right to perform the work for which you have been granted a residence permit.
  • If you apply for an extended permit, check if you have the right to work while your application is being processed.

General attachments

  • Valid passport (you must present it when you submit the residence permit application)
  • Passport photo complying with the photo guidelines issued by the police or a photograph retrieval code you received from a photo shop, OLEL_PK
  • Colour copies of the passport page containing personal data and of all passport pages that contain notes
  • Document showing that you are legally staying in the country where you submit the application
  • Form MP_1 (if you already are in Finland and apply for your first residence permit)

Application-specific attachments

  • Employment contract or a binding job offer (principal terms of work)
  • Extract from the Register of Associations
  • Annual report and/or action plan
  • The rules of the association
  • Your latest pay certificate (only if you apply for an extended permit)