Skip to Content

Work and study activities

Reception centres organise many kinds of study and work activities. They are obligatory. If you refuse to attend, your financial support may be reduced.

The work and study activities do not mean a paid job outside the reception centre. If you want to have a paid job, read more about an asylum seeker’s right to work.

Most often, the study activities are studies in the Finnish or Swedish language. The work activities are organised by the reception centre, and the work is done at the reception centre. The work consists of everyday tasks such as maintaining the yard or cleaning.

Before your work and study activities begin, the reception centre will make a personal work and study activity plan with you. You need to sign the plan.

Basic course on the Finnish society

Every asylum seeker must take a basic course on the Finnish society, as a part of his or her work and study activities. The course will give you a basic knowledge on the Finnish society and the ways it operates.

More information about the course

Right to basic and pre-primary education

The Finnish law grants the children who live in reception centres the right to participate in basic education. The municipality in which the reception centre is located organises basic education for all children who live in that municipality and who are of compulsory school age. The municipality also organises pre-primary education for children who will reach the compulsory school age in the coming year.

Asylum seekers’ right to study

Read more: