Skip to Content

Residence permit application for other voluntary work

Apply for a residence permit with this application if you are coming to Finland for voluntary work through some other volunteer programme than a voluntary service scheme of the EU (EVS or ESC). Other organisations that run volunteer programmes include Maailmanvaihto ry – ICYE Finland and AIESEC.

If you are coming to Finland for voluntary work through Erasmus+ European Voluntary Service (EVS) or European Solidarity Corps (ESC), read the instructions on how to apply for a residence permit here:

The residence permit is issued as a temporary residence permit for a maximum period of one year.


  • Expected processing time

    2 - 10 months

  • Electronic application fee

    First permit 380 € / extended permit 160 €

  • Paper application fee

    First permit 480 € / extended permit 430 €

This is what you should do


Make sure you meet the requirements for the residence permit you are applying for.


Make sure you have all the attachments needed. If necessary, have them translated and legalised. The processing time may be longer if you have not filled in your application sufficiently.


Fill in your application in the online service Enter Finland or use a paper application form.


Pay for your application in the online service Enter Finland, at a Finnish mission (embassy or consulate) or at a service point of the Finnish Immigration Service.


If you are abroad, visit a Finnish mission (embassy or consulate). If you are already in Finland, book an appointment at a service point of the Finnish Immigration Service.


Wait for a decision. The Finnish Immigration Service will contact you if necessary.


Read what happens after you have applied. Check the estimated processing time of your application. You can follow the processing of your application with the help of our chatbot Kamu. In addition, you will usually receive automated messages at the different processing stages of your application.


You should wait for the residence permit in the same country or locality where you submitted your application and proved your identity.

General requirements for entry into Finland

Make sure you meet the general requirements for entry into Finland before you submit an application.


You must also meet the following requirements:

Income requirement

You must have secure means of support.

  • The agreement between you and the organisation responsible for the voluntary service scheme must include evidence that you have sufficient funds for the duration of your voluntary work.

General attachments

  • Valid passport (you must present it when you submit the residence permit application)
  • Passport photo complying with the photo guidelines issued by the police, or a photograph retrieval code you received from a photo shop, OLEL_PK
  • Colour copies of the passport page containing personal data and of all passport pages that contain notes
  • Document showing that you are legally staying in the country where you submit the application
  • Form MP_1 (if you already are in Finland and apply for your first residence permit)


Application-specific attachments

  • Details about the organisation arranging the voluntary work (the organisation’s name and contact details, the contact person’s name and contact details)
  • An agreement signed by you and the organisation responsible for the voluntary work, containing the following information:
    • a description of the voluntary service scheme, including its content
    • the duration, location and supervision conditions of your voluntary work
    • the volunteering hours (start and end date, the location where you will be working and a mention of who will make sure that the voluntary work is done in appropriate conditions)
    • documentation of funds that cover your subsistence and accommodation costs during your entire stay
    • documentation of a minimum sum of money paid to you as pocket money during your entire stay
    • if applicable, the training you will receive during your volunteering period

Residence permit application for internship, OLE_TY3

Fill in an electronic application

Extended permit for a trainee, OLE_TY3

Fill in an electronic application