Applying for asylum
When you arrive in Finland, immediately tell the border control authorities or the police that you want to apply for asylum.
A border control official or a police will register you as an asylum seeker. He or she will enter your basic details in the information register and take your fingerprints, signature and photograph. These are called biometric identifiers. He or she will also make the necessary checks in other information registers.
After the official has received your asylum application, you will be directed to a reception centre.
Watch a video about the processing of asylum applications.
If some other EU Member State is responsible for processing the application, the application will not be processed in Finland. The applicant will be refused entry and sent to the Member State responsible for examining the application.
If another EU Member State is responsible for processing the application, the application is not processed in Finland. The applicant is denied admittance or stay and is sent to the Member State responsible for examining the application.
The asylum seeker must leave Finland. Before a minor asylum seeker is returned, the police make sure that the applicant has an appropriate and safe reception in his or her home country. The applicant may apply for assisted voluntary return. He or she may also appeal the decision.
Being a client at the Finnish Immigration Service
- Anvisning för asylsökande (sv)
- Instruções aos requerentes de asilo (pt)
- Instruction for asylum seekers (en)
- Instructions pour les demandeurs d’asile (fr)
- Şîret bo penaxwazin (Kurmandži)
- Sığınmacı kılavuzu (tr)
- Udhëzime për azilkërkuesin (sq)
- Warbixin loogu talagalay qofka magangalyo-doonka ah (so)
- Инструкция просителю убежища (ru)
- تعليمات لطالبي اللجوء تسيير المعاملات لدى مديرية الهجرة (ar)
- راهنمایی پناهجو رسیدگی به امور در اداره کل مهاجرت (fa)
- پناه غوښتونکو ته لارښوونه د کډوالو په اداره کی د اړوندو کارونو سر ته رسونه (ps)
- ሓበሬታ ንሓተትቲ ዑቕባ፤ ተገልጋሊ ኣገልግሎት ኢሚግሬሽን ፊንላንድ ምዃን (ti)