Skip to Content

Residence permit application on the basis of intimate relationship

Apply for a residence permit with this application if you are applying for a residence permit for a reason which is intimate relationship.

  • Expected processing time

    9–12 months

  • Paper application fee

    520 € 

Intimate relationship

General requirements for entry into Finland

Make sure you meet the general requirements for entry into Finland before you submit an application.

You must also meet the following requirements:


You and your partner are in an established relationship and intend to continue your life together in Finland.


You or your partner are not married to anyone else.

This is what you should do


Make sure you meet the requirements for the residence permit you are applying for.


Make sure you have all the attachments needed for the application and that they are up to date. If necessary, have them translated and legalised.


Fill in your application.


Pay for your application at a Finnish mission (embassy or consulate) or at a service point of the Finnish Immigration Service.


If you are abroad, visit a Finnish mission (embassy or consulate). If you are already in Finland, book an appointment at a service point of the Finnish Immigration Service.


Wait for a decision. The Finnish Immigration Service will contact you if necessary.

Income requirement

You have secure means of support.

  • You cannot secure your means of support with benefits paid by the society, or with the income and savings of your partner who lives in Finland. The income of your partner who lives in Finland is not taken into account because under Finnish law, he or she is not considered to be your family member.
  • The funds you need to have to meet the income requirement (EUR 1,000 per month for one adult) must be freely available to you, for example in your personal bank account.

Right to work

If your residence permit was granted to you on the basis of your dating relationship, your right to work is restricted. However, you have the right to work in the following positions:

  1. In expert duties that require special expertise. Your salary must be at least the same as the average wage-earner’s gross earnings in Finland (EUR 3,473 per month in 2023). 

  2. In the top or middle management of a company.

  3. In an international organisation or in duties concerning official cooperation between states.

  4. As a professional athlete, coach, or sports referee.

  5. Professionally in the field of culture or the arts.

  6. In the service of a religious community in a position that involves practising the religion.

If you apply for an extended permit, check if you have the right to work while your application is being processed.

General attachments

  • Valid passport accepted by Finland ( Present your passport when you submit your residence permit application
  • A passport photo complying with the photo guidelines issued by the police (, or a photograph retrieval code you received from a photo shop
    • The passport photo must be no more than 6 months old.
  • Colour copies of the passport page containing personal data and of all passport pages that contain notes
  • Document showing that you are legally staying in the country where you submit the application

Application-specific attachments

  • A written statement of your personal income that will also be at your disposal in Finland
    • a certificate of deposit or a bank statement
    • property, and capital income from your property
    • income from employment or business enterprise
    • pension income
    • other income
  • A statement of your dating relationship and possible living together
    • for example a rental agreement or an extract from a register of occupants
    • colour copies of your partner’s passport page containing personal data and all passport pages that contain notes
  • A statement of pregnancy, if applicable
    • a certificate of pregnancy
  • A free-form written statement of the reasons why apply for a residence permit on other grounds
  • Divorce certificate (if you or your spouse has previously been married and have divorced) (must be legalised if not issued in the Nordic countries or in an EU Member State)
  • Intimate relationship attachment form (pdf)

Residence permit application on other grounds, OLE_MUU

Fill in a paper application

Prepare for your life in Finland