Skip to Content

Application for long-term resident’s EU residence permit for third-country nationals

Use this application to apply for a long-term resident’s EU residence permit for third-country nationals (P-EU).

You can get an EU residence permit (P-EU) if you meet these conditions:

  • You have resided in Finland for a continuous period of 5 years with a continuous residence permit (an A permit) or with a permanent residence permit (a P permit),
  • your residence permit is valid when you apply for the EU residence permit and
  • you have sufficient financial resources for living in Finland.
  • Expected processing time

    6 months

  • Electronic application fee

    220 €

  • Paper application fee

    270 €

  • For applicants under the age of 18


This is what you should do


Make sure you meet the requirements for the residence permit you are applying for.


Make sure you have all the attachments needed. If necessary, have them translated and legalised. The processing time may be longer if you have not filled in your application sufficiently.


Fill in your application in the online service Enter Finland or use a paper application form.


Pay for your application in the online service Enter Finland, at a Finnish mission (embassy or consulate) or at a service point of the Finnish Immigration Service.


If you are abroad, visit a Finnish mission (embassy or consulate). If you are already in Finland, book an appointment at a service point of the Finnish Immigration Service.


Wait for a decision. The Finnish Immigration Service will contact you if necessary.


Read what happens after you have applied. Check the estimated processing time of your application. In addition, you will usually receive automated messages at the different processing stages of your application.


You should wait for the residence permit in the same country or locality where you submitted your application and proved your identity.

General requirements for entry into Finland

Make sure you meet the general requirements for entry into Finland before you submit an application.

Income requirement

You must have secure means of support regardless of the grounds on which you were granted your previous residence permits.

Right to work

Your right to work while your application is being processed depends on the grounds on which your previous residence permit was granted to you. If you apply for an EU residence permit after your previous residence permit has expired, you are not allowed to continue working. Read more about the right to work while an application for an extended permit is being processed.

After you get an EU residence permit, you have an unrestricted right to work. Please notice that your right to work is limited to Finland. As a holder of an EU residence permit, you may only work in the EU Member State that has granted the permit to you.

General attachments

  • Valid passport accepted by Finland ( Present your passport when you submit your residence permit application
  • A passport photo complying with the photo guidelines issued by the police, or a photograph retrieval code you received from a photo shop
    • The passport photo must be no more than 6 months old.
  • Color copies of the passport page containing personal data and all pages that contain notes

Application-specific attachments

  • For an underage child, written consent from the guardian who is not the person submitting the application
  • Clarification of income

Permanent residence permit application, OLE_P_PEU

Fill in an electronic application