Skip to Content

Travelling to another EU Member State on an EU residence permit

The EU residence permit granted by a Schengen State allows free movement and residence in Schengen States for a maximum period of 90 days. If you are travelling to Finland from outside the Schengen area you will need a visa, unless you are a citizen of a visa-free country.

If you wish to stay in Finland for more than 90 days you must apply for a residence permit in Finland within 90 days of arrival. Residence permits are issued on the basis of working, self-employment or other grounds, or for studies or vocational training. You must have sufficient means of support in Finland and meet the further requirements of the Aliens Act for granting a residence permit.