Residence permit application for seasonal work

Use this form to apply for a residence permit if you are going to come to Finland for seasonal work that will last for 3–9 months. ‘Seasonal work’ means work that is done during certain seasons in the fields of agriculture and tourism. Jobs in forestry, crop production or at festivals are examples of seasonal work that requires a residence permit.

If your work is not seasonal or the season lasts longer than nine months, you must use the form OLE_TY1 to apply for a residence permit for an employed person (TTOL).

  • Expected processing time for electronic application

    First permit 1 months / extended permit 3 months


  • Expected processing time for paper application

    First permit 2 months / extended permit 3 months

  • Electronic application fee

    First permit 350 € 3–6 months, 400 € 6–9 months / extended permit 190 €

  • Paper application fee

    First permit 550 € 3–6 months, 600 € 6–9 months / extended permit 190 €

This is what you should do:


Make sure you meet the requirements for the residence permit you are applying for.


Make sure you have all the attachments needed for the application and that they are up to date. If necessary, have them translated.


You can only apply for your first residence permit for seasonal work abroad. If you already have a certificate or visa for seasonal work and want to continue doing seasonal work after your certificate or visa expires, you can apply for a residence permit for seasonal work while you are in Finland.


Pay for your application in the e-service Enter Finland or at a Finnish mission (embassy or consulate).


Visit a Finnish mission (embassy or consulate).


Wait for a decision. The Finnish Immigration Service will contact you if necessary.


Read what happens after you have applied.

General requirements for entry into Finland

Make sure you meet the general requirements for entry into Finland before you submit an application.


You must also meet the following requirements:


Your work is seasonal, takes place in a certain field, and lasts for 3–9 months. Jobs in forestry, crop production or at festivals are examples of seasonal work that requires a residence permit. A detailed list of seasonal jobs.


You must have a signed employment contract or a binding job offer.

  • You must have confirmed employment before you may apply for a residence permit. If you have been offered work by an employer, the employer needs to confirm that you will really be hired. This is usually done in the form of an employment contract.
  • If you wish to apply for a residence permit for seasonal work to work for more than one employer, you must fill in the necessary information and submit attachments about all the employers.


You have appropriate accommodation.

Please notice that if your seasonal work will last for 6–9 months, your application for a residence permit for seasonal work will be processed in two stages. This means that an Employment and Economic Development Office (TE Office) will first assess whether labour force is available in Finland or within the EU/EEA for the work in question within a reasonable time. Secondly, following this, the Finnish Immigration Service makes its decision.

Income requirement

You must have secure means of support

  •  If you apply for a residence permit in order to work in Finland, you need to be able to earn your living in Finland through gainful employment throughout the time your residence permit is valid. The minimum salary from gainful employment is reviewed annually.

    Read more on the page Income requirement.

Right to work

  • You cannot start working before you get a residence permit for seasonal work.
  • You are only permitted to work for the employer for whose seasonal work your residence permit was granted to you. If you apply for an extended permit, check if you have the right to work while your application is being processed.

The family members of seasonal workers cannot get residence permits in Finland on the basis of family ties.

Seasonal workers must apply to Kela for access to health services

As a seasonal worker, you do not automatically have the right to use municipal healthcare in Finland. You must apply to the Social Insurance Institution of Finland (Kela) for entitlement to healthcare. Kela will give you a certificate.

In the case of an emergency, you of course have the right to seek medical care. In such situations, the health care staff will check your entitlement to healthcare from Kela.

Read more about seasonal workers’ rights on Kela’s website.

General attachments

  • Valid passport (you must present it when you submit the residence permit application)
    • Your passport must still be valid for three months after your residence permit for seasonal work has ended.
  • Passport photo complying with the photo guidelines issued by the police or a photograph retrieval code you received from a photo shop
  • Colour copies of the passport page containing personal data and of all passport pages that contain notes
  • Document showing that you are legally staying in the country where you submit the application

Application-specific attachments

  • Supplement form TY6_plus, filled in and signed by your employer
  • Salmonella certificate (if you are a restaurant worker or your duties include food preparation or packaging)

If your work lasts for more than six months, ask your employer for the following documents and attach them to your application. The documents may not be more than three months old.

  • Certificate of paid taxes or certificate of tax debts
  • Certificates from an insurance company on the employer’s statutory insurance premiums regarding
    • TyEL insurance;
    • accident and group life insurance; and
    • unemployment insurance
  • Report on recruitment of labour force from the Finnish labour market and the labour market within the EU/EEA

Residence permit application for seasonal work, OLE_TY6

Fill in an electronic application