Information on the situation in Mogadishu collected on a fact-finding mission to Somalia
Researchers of the Finnish Immigration Service’s Country Information conducted a fact-finding mission to Mogadishu, the capital of Somalia, in February-March. During the trip, the researchers met with international organisations and actors as well as local non-governmental organisations.
The purpose of the fact-finding mission was to collect information on the security situation and humanitarian conditions in Mogadishu as well as strengthen the contact network with international and local actors.
Fact-finding missions to various countries
Fact-finding missions are part of the Country Information Service’s FAKTA project, which has received funding from the EU’s Asylum, Migration and Integration Fund (AMIF).
During the project, the Finnish Immigration Service has carried out fact-finding missions to many different countries. The previous fact-finding mission to Somalia was conducted in 2018.
Reports on the fact-finding missions are published on the website of the Finnish Immigration Service. A separate press release will be issued when the report on Somalia is published.
Facts: Research-based information on the situation in countries to support decision-making
- The Country Information Unit of the Finnish Immigration Service collects country of origin information, which is used to support decision-making particularly in the case of applications concerning international protection.
- Besides the fact-finding missions, information about countries is acquired in many other ways as well. Our sources include for instance the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), research institutes, and the country information services of other countries.
- The Finnish Immigration Service always uses up-to-date country information when making decisions. The researchers at the Country Information Unit do not participate in the decision-making.
- More information about our country information can be found in the information bank on our website.
- Read more about the work of the country information researchers in our newsroom (in Finnish).
Further information for the media
- General information on the FAKTA project: Project Manager Satu Ruotsalainen, email: [email protected], tel. +358 (0)295 433 037
- More details about Somalia’s country information: researcher Riku Santaharju, email: [email protected], tel. +358 (0)295 433 037