Checklist for students applying for an extended permit
Remember that you can apply for an extended permit only in Finland. If you are not in Finland, you must apply for a new residence permit, like those applying for their first residence permit.
- Apply for the extension before your current permit expires.
- However, only submit your application after completing your spring studies, as we will check whether studies were your actual grounds for residence in Finland.
- Undergraduates at a university or a university of applied sciences should complete 45 credits during the academic year.
- Before filling in the application form, make sure that you have all the attachments mentioned in the instructions.The processing time will be longer if your application is incomplete.
- Visit our service point within three months of submitting the application.At the service point, you must present the original copies of the documents attached to your application, as well as giving your fingerprints, for example.Book an appointment using the reservation service on the Migri.fi site.
Filling in the application
Create a user account in the e-service and fill out the application form for a residence permit for studies.
- Enter your name and your date and place of birth in the application form exactly as they are in your passport.
- Remember to include all the necessary attachments.
- Book an appointment at a Migri service point using the reservation serviceon the Migri.fi site. At the service point, you must present the original copies of the documents attached to your application, as well as giving your fingerprints, for example.
- Do not worry if you are unable to visit our service point before your current residence permit expires.If you submit your application through the e-service before your current residence permit expires, you have applied for the extended permit in time.
- Remember to bring your passport photo, the original attachments and your pass-port with you to the service point.
- Please ensure that your passport is still valid. You cannot be granted a residence permit for studies if you do not have a valid passport.
You can also submit your application on paper if necessary
To submit a paper application, fill out the form OLE_OPI.
- Make sure that you have all the necessary attachments.
- Do not add any attachments to the application other than those requested.
- Book an appointment at a Migri service point using the reservation service on the Migri.fi site. Your application will be initiated only once you have visited the service point, where you must present the original copies of the documents attached to your application, as well as giving your fingerprints, for example.
- Remember to bring your passport photo, the original attachments and your passport with you to the service point.
- Please ensure that your passport is still valid. You may not be granted a residence permit for studies if you do not have a valid passport.
All applicants must give their fingerprints at a service point
All those who apply for a residence permit must visit a service point of the Finnish Immigration Service to give their fingerprints, including those who have submitted the application online. The application cannot be processed until you have visited the service point and had your fingerprints taken.
You must have secure means of support
For a one-year residence permit, you must have at least 6,720 euros available for your use. For studies lasting less than one year you need at least 560 euros per month.
You must either have the required sum in your own bank account or present a certificate showing that you have received a scholarship or grant from an official body, such as a state, an educational institution or another organisation. Sponsorship guarantees or account statements from private persons, such as relatives, friends or employers, will not be accepted.
If you have applied for a residence permit even though your current residence permit is still valid for more than three months, you must also have means of support for the period for which your current permit is valid. You may not be granted a new residence permit for a period longer than that for which you have demonstrable means of support.
Processing the application
You can follow the status of your online application via our e-service.
It is not possible to speed up the processing of your application. All applications are processed in the order in which they are submitted, and contacting the Finnish Immigration Service by e-mail or telephone will not speed up the processing. Please note that if you have submitted your application in paper format to an embassy or consulate, it may take several weeks for it to arrive at the Finnish Immigration Service.
Information on the processing queue for residence permit applications by students can be found on the website of the Finnish Immigration Service. Information about any exceptional situations or changes in processing times will also be available on the website.
We do not send residence permit cards abroad
If you are granted a residence permit, you will receive a residence permit card. Please note that we will not send you a new residence permit card abroad when you have applied for an extended permit.
The residence permit card will be delivered by mail.If your address in Finland changes after you submitted the application, please inform us of your new address. You can authorise another person to pick up the card on your behalf.
It takes a few weeks to manufacture and post the card. The Finnish Immigration Service cannot speed up the delivery of the residence permit card.