Skip to Content

Residence permit application for persons employed as a specialist

Apply for a residence permit with this application if you work as a specialist.

You are a specialist if:

  • you are coming to Finland to work in expert duties that require special expertise (highly skilled worker);
  • your salary is at least EUR 3,638 per month in 2024; and
  • you have a higher education degree or have otherwise acquired the special expertise required in your work through work experience or other education.

You must have confirmed employment before you apply.

A first residence permit for a specialist is granted for a maximum of 2 years. If your employment lasts for less than 2 years, the permit will be valid for the duration of your employment relationship.

  • Expected processing time for electronic application

    First permit 2 weeks / 

    extended permit 2 weeks

  • Expected processing time for paper application

    First permit 1 month / 

    extended permit 2 weeks

  • Electronic application fee

    First permit 380 € / extended permit 170 €

  • Paper application fee

    First permit 480 € / extended permit 430 €

You can apply for this residence permit via the fast-track service and get the permit in two weeks. Read more on the page Fast track

You can apply for a D visa at the same time as you apply for a residence permit. The D visa allows you to travel to Finland immediately after you have been issued with a residence permit and a D visa sticker has been attached to your passport. Read more on the page D visa

This is what you should do


Fill in the application:

Right to work

  • You have the right to work as a specialist. Check your right to work if you wish to change jobs.

  • If you are in Finland when you apply for a residence permit, you have the right to work as a specialist for a maximum of 90 days already before you get a residence permit. To check whether you meet the requirements for such work, see the page Work without residence permit
  • If you apply for an extended permit, check if you have the right to work while your application is being processed.

Apply for a residence permit for a specialist, OLE_TY2

Apply online in Enter Finland

Apply for an extended permit for a specialist, OLE_TY2

Apply online in Enter Finland

Prepare for your life in Finland