Dismissals in Finnish companies due to sanctions on Russia – what can you do if your employment ends?
European countries have imposed sanctions on Russia due to Russia’s attack on Ukraine. Due to the sanctions, some companies in Finland have had to let go some of their employees.
The Finnish Immigration Service is aware of the uncertain situation for those who reside in Finland with a residence permit and who have been dismissed or are at risk of dismissal.
What can I do if my employment ends?
If you have a residence permit on the basis of work and your employment ends, you need to find a new job. Your right to work determines in which job and field you are allowed to work and depends on the residence permit that you have been granted. You can check your right to work from your residence permit card.
Examples of right to work with different residence permits:
- Residence permit for an employed person (TTOL):
- If you have been granted a residence permit for an employed person for work in a specific field, you can change jobs freely if your new job is in the same field.
- If your new job is in another field, you must apply for a new residence permit for an employed person. Your right to work in the new field begins when you have been granted a permit for it.
- If your permit is bound to a specific employer, your permit allows you to work only for this employer. You must apply for and receive a new residence permit for an employed person before you can start a new job.
- Residence permit for specialists: You can usually change jobs freely if also your new job requires special expertise. You can also start a new business. However, if you intend to work primarily as an entrepreneur, apply for a residence permit for an entrepreneur.
- Residence permit for family members: You can change jobs and work in another field freely.
- Permanent residence permit: You can change jobs and work in another field freely.
You can also apply for a new residence permit on some other grounds if you meet the requirements for the permit. Use our Application Finder to choose the correct permit.